For Full-Time Students
- Begins: start of the semester
- Ends: when you’re no longer registered as a full-time student within that semester
- Only full-time students at the Belleville, Bancroft and Port Hope Campuses are eligible to receive coverage based on the terms of the Health Plan. Dropping a course may affect your status as a full-time student and, consequently, may impact your eligibility. To qualify as a full-time student, your course load must represent at least 70% of the hours of two-thirds of the courses required for the semester of the program in which you are enrolled.
Domestic Students Only
Domestic students who can provide proof of pre-existing coverage may opt out of the Accident Insurance and Prescription Drug Plan Fees online through the LoyalistLife.com website during the following dates. Loyalist College does not provide reimbursements for these ancillary fees. It is up to the Health Plan Provider to determine if the pre-existing coverage is satisfactory and issue a refund.
- For Fall 2019 students: September 9 – 20
- For new Winter 2020 students only: January 13 – 24
International students cannot opt out of the Student Prescription Drug Plan and Accident Insurance Fees as your International Student Health Insurance does not provide adequate coverage.
Student Health Plan Opt Out Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Provides a prescription drug plan for students that offers 80% coverage through a pay direct system to a maximum of $3,000 per year
- There are some exceptions including birth control; however, certain brands can be purchased at cost with a prescription in the Health Centre.
- Find out more information on the prescription drugs coverage
Please note: Although coverage begins at the start of the semester, there is a blackout period at the beginning of each semester. During this time, the student health plan contractor is not able to confirm coverage and will not process or reimburse claims. Please note that pharmacies cannot accept your Student ID Card for the Pay Direct Prescription Drug Service during the black out period. Please keep receipts from prescription drug purchases in order to make a manual claim once the black out period ends.
- Present a valid Loyalist Student ID Card at any pharmacy.
- Fall 2019 Semester: Monday, September 30, 2019
- Winter 2020 Semester: Monday, February 3, 2020
- Spring/Summer 2020 Semester: to be announced
Manual by submitting an online claim:
Manual by submitting a claim by mail:
- Pay the cost of your prescription
- Keep the official receipt(s) to complete a manual claim by mail
- Download the prescription drugs claim form. Click Booklets & Forms.
- Complete all sections of the form that apply to your claim and once you sign it you can mail it along with your original receipts directly to:
PO Box 6500, Station A
Sudbury, ON P3A 5N5
Coverage for expenses related to an accident, i.e. life insurance, medical and dental expenses, emergency taxi, etc. Find out more information on the accident benefits coverage
- Life insurance
- Medical and dental expenses
- Emergency taxi
- Eyeglasses and contact lenses
- Home and vehicle modification
- Hearing aids
- Family benefits
- Tutorial services
Manual by submitting a claim by mail:
- Download the accident benefits claim form. Click Booklets & Forms.
- Complete all sections of the form that apply to your claim and sign it.
- Please Note:
- Students must have received treatment from a qualified physician/dentist within 30 days from the date of an accident.
- Accident must be reported within 90 days.
- Claim must be filed no later than one year.
- The claim form must be signed by an authorized authority at Loyalist College. Please bring this completed and signed claim form to Amy Hoskins in Room 1H16K.
- Mail your Accident Claim form along with your original receipts to:
Industrial Alliance Financial Group
Life and Health Claims Department
Special Markets Solutions
2165 Broadway West
PO Box 5900
Vancouver, BC V6B 5H6
Group Name: Loyalist College Student Insurance Plan
Policy Number: 97200
Group Number: 513979
- Your Student ID #
- _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ G
- (10 digit alpha numeric number: your 9 digit student number plus the letter G)
- i.e. If your student ID # is 9 digits, the correct ID # would be 987654321G
All Drug & Accident Benefits Underwritten By: SSQ, Life Insurance Company Inc. (SSQ Financial Group)
Drug Claims Paid By: ClaimSecure
Prescription Drug & Accident Questions & Plan Consultants: ACL Student Benefits
- tel 1-800-315-1108
- fax 416-216-1179
This is a brief outline of the benefits available to you under your Group Insurance Plan and does not create or confer any contractual or other rights. It is not an insurance policy, but an informal explanation of benefits provided by the plan. All rights with respect to the benefits of an Insured will be governed solely by the Group Master Policy issued by SSQ Financial Group. Terms and conditions subject to change.
Students should be aware of this information contained prior to processing any claims. Loyalist College and Loyalist Student Government staff will refer to the Student Insurance Plan Booklet when assisting students and replicating information and as such, will not be held responsible for any allegations of misinformation provided on their part.
Freedom of Information & Protection of Privacy Act
In accordance with Loyalist College’s commitment to privacy and security of your personal information, please be advised that your personal information will be used to collect, use and disclose information for the purposes of underwriting, administration, audit, paying claims and patient safety including: Loyalist College, Loyalist College Student Health Centre, Loyalist Student Government, ACL Student Benefits, SSQ Life Insurance Company Inc. (SSQ Financial Group), ClaimSecure, the pharmacies through which the Pay Direct Prescription Drug service is used, health-care practitioners, institutions, investigative agencies and insurers, and any person performing services for ACL Student Benefits, SSQ Life Insurance Company Inc. (SSQ Financial Group) and/or ClaimSecure.
Prescription Drugs Inquiries
(including the Pay Direct Prescription Drug Service)
ACL Student Benefits
fax (416) 216-1179
1 Yonge Street, Suite 1200
Toronto, ON M5E 1ES
If mailing your prescription drug claim, mail it directly to:
- PO Box 6500, Station A
- Sudbury, ON P3A 5N5
Accident Benefits Inquires
SSQ, Life Insurance Company Inc.
110 Sheppard Avenue East, Suite 500
Toronto, ON M2N 6Y8
tel 613-969-1913, ext. 2371
- Additional coverage such as dental, vision and family would increase the Health Plan ancillary fee for all full-time students and there would be no option to pick and choose between additional offerings. As a result, there has not been enough support from full-time students to include additional coverage with the Loyalist Health Plan.
- Dropping a course may affect your status as a full-time student and, consequently, may impact your eligibility using the Student Health Plan (including Prescription Drug Plan and Accident Insurance). To qualify as a full-time student, your course load must represent at least 70% of the hours of two-thirds of the courses required for the semester of the program in which you are enrolled.
Why doesn’t Loyalist’s health plan have contraception, dental, family and vision coverage like other colleges and universities?
Enhancements to Loyalist’s health plan would result in an increase to the full-time student ancillary fee. Students who are covered through their parent’s health plans would not have the option to opt-out of this additional coverage. There was not enough support in the Winter 2017 Survey for a mandatory fee increase to include:
- Contraception $19.50
- Yes: 50% No: 50%
- Dental: $65
- Yes: 62% No: 38%
- Unfortunately, 62% of 536 survey participants is not enough support to proceed with a mandatory fee increase. Approximately 80% of the student population at Loyalist did not complete this survey.
- Vision: $29.50
- Yes: 44% No: 56%
Certain name-brand birth control is available in the Health Centre for $10 with a prescription from physician.