1H6B (Across from the Bookstore)
Spiritual Room Policies
A Space Provided by Student Government
The purpose of the Spiritual Room is to provide a respectful and dignified space for individuals to meditate, reflect or pray. The space is intended for quiet prayer or meditation, and is open during regular College hours. It is not intended for use as study or meeting space.
Members of the College Community are welcome to come into the Spiritual Room to meditate, reflect or pray at any time that the Room is open, even while others are present. Please respect the need for a peaceful and quiet atmosphere while using the space, and the hallway area outside of the space.
- The maximum capacity of the Spiritual Room is five (5) people. Overflow of people into the hallway is not permitted.
- Food is permitted in the Spiritual Room.
- No shoes are to be worn in the Spiritual Room. Shoes are to be removed upon entering the room.
- Alcohol is not permitted in the room, even for use in religious celebrations and ceremonies.
- The Spiritual Room does not permit the use of fire, including lit candles or incense and smudging is NOT permitted within the space.
- Please take your sacred items with you when you leave.
- The whiteboard is the only item to be placed on the walls of the Spiritual Room. No religious symbols or images are to be displayed. Notices, posters, flyers, etc., of religious events must not be left in the Spiritual Room.
- No religious materials may be left in the Spiritual Room.
- Nothing is to be affixed to the walls, door or windows.
- Aggressive religious recruitment is not tolerated. Characteristics of aggressive religious recruitment include:
- Pressure and deception (using high pressure recruitment tactics and not being up-front about their motives);
- Totalitarian worldview (not encouraging critical and independent thinking and claiming to possess the truth exclusively);
- Alienation (encouraging you to sever ties with others who are not members of your group), and;
- Exploitation (making unrealistic demands on your time and/or money and not understanding that your studies are your first priority).
Please note that the Spiritual Room cannot be booked.