On Tuesday, October 7, the Student Government held a Grand Opening to showcase the brand new Pioneer Café/Lounge.
The Student Government discussed the importance of revitalizing the Pioneer Café during many Board Meetings held in 2007 and 2008. On January 17, 2008, the Board met with Chartwells Food Services Director, Scott Allison, to analyze the Café to determine what was lacking in making the space inviting and appealing for students. Some of the suggestions for improvement the Board Members made were:
- Tear down wall between food serving area and seating area to open the place up and make it more presentable.
- Wheelchair accessibility in the food serving area.
- Area needs:
- lounge seating to better utilize empty spaces
- fresh coat of paint
- consistent ceiling tiles
- posters on the walls to add character
- new tables
- Better signage in the building to direct students where to go.
On February 21, 2008, the Student Government made the Pioneer Café their number one Facilities Enhancement priority for the summer.
During the summer of 2008, Fred Pollitt, Director of Student Life kept the project moving along and met with the Student Government Board frequently to review plans, quotes and samples for equipment, furniture, flooring, paint and lighting that resulted in a major transformation for the students of Loyalist College.